Start Search is usually installed as your new search engine in a tricky way with other freeware. The installation is automatic if you fail to block Start Search offered as optional feature. Then, it hijackes Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and other browsers. Start Search is classified as (PUP) potentially unwanted program and as a browser hijacker that redirects default search engine and homepage to Startsearch.org. This search is not malicious, but it is used for advertising business partners, tracking your browsing history, and making money out of your clicks. Removing of this stuff is more complicated than removing other programs. Some adware installed along with Start Search can make it even more difficult. This guide will help you to uninstall SafeSearch and remove browser extensions related to the toolbar.
Browser hijacker for Start Search replaces default search engine and homepage with different custom search engines designed for advertising and promotion. Users of such rogue search engine will get many irrelevant links and see advertising in your web browser. Cyber criminals can use inexpensive promotion for infecting your computer with various malicious programs. It is better to uninstall Startsearch.org and remove bundled adware from your computer unless you value its features and ready to assume risks.
Brief Information for Startsearch.org Removal
Start Search has components installed as a Windows programs. It is also installed as web browser extensions, add-ons, and BHO (browser helper objects) that spy on your web browsing history and deliver ads and promoted links that are related to your searches. This helps to increase number of potential clicks and profit that these clicks will generate. Start Search is quite complex, and this helps to protect the redirect to Startsearch.org against removal, especially by computer users without experience in removing toolbars.
- YOU CAN uninstall Start Search application as any other program from your Windows system. The only problem is finding which one of installed free programs is responsible for this redirect. If you cannot find this application, then look for any suspicious program, or use a free malware scanner that detects malicious files despite of tricks with various names used for making removal more difficult.
- YOU HAVE TO uninstall unfamiliar browser extensions found in your Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer that are ususally infected with Startsearch.org redirect.
Make sure to complete both of these steps for uninstalling Start Search components from your web browsers even if you use only one because hijackers can easily come back if you fail to complete Start Search removal process when the algorithm for its update find one of related components present on your computer.
Automated Start Search Removal
The advantage of automated Start Search removal is obvious when it comes to possibility of other bundled adware and more serious computer infections present on your computer. Start Search and like adware is often bundled with similar products, and you need to identify malicious programs before you can remove them from your computer.
SpyHunter can find and remove all malicious programs for you. Reliable malware detection, timely updated virus database, and professional support all guarantee you success in Startsearch.org and other malware removal.
Detailed removal guide placed below can help you to manually remove Startsearch.org. However, it will be more difficult to find and remove bundled adware and other malicious programs without effective tools and professional help offered by Enigma Software Group.
Step 1. Manually Uninstall Start Search Application
For uninstalling Start Search you need to use special Windows utility designed for removing installed applications. It is placed in Control Panel section. Access to Control Panel is different on different Windows version. Though, the utility for uninstalling Windows applications is very similar in use on all versions. Uninstall Start Search and other suspicious applications installed at the same moment.
Uninstall Application – Windows 8
- Right click "Start" button or lower left corner of your desktop to open the "Quick Access Menu".
- Select "Control Panel" option in the menu.
- Click "Uninstall a Program" to open the list of installed programs.
- Select malicious program and click "Uninstall" button.
Uninstall Application – Windows 7, Vista
- Click on "Start" button placed at the bottom left corner.
- Click "Control Panel" option in the Start menu
- Find "Programs and Features" option in the Control Panel menu
- Scroll through the program list and highlight malicious program. Then, click "Uninstall"
Uninstall Application – Windows XP
- Click on "Start" button at the bottom left corner on your desktop.
- Select "Control Panel" in the menu, or click on "Settings" option and select "Control Panel"
- Find and double-click on "Add / Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel menu
- Scroll through the program list and click on malicious program. Then, click Remove"
Look for other suspicious programs and remove them. If you are not sure what some program is for, then use SpyHunter’s free scanner for detecting malicious programs that you need to remove for safety. You can check suspicious names with list of adware and remove programs and browser extensions with matching names.
What Can You Do if Start Search Won’t Uninstall?
1) If you cannot find Start Search in the list of installed Windows programs, then the uninstaller is probably missed or removed. You need to find and manually remove SerSearch components from your computer. Use Windows “Search” utility and look for files and folders that have Start Search or “Startsearch.org”. This will help to find locations on your disk where Startsearch.org components are installed. You also can check “Program Files” and “Application Data” folders, but search is preferred for detecting precise locations that might vary.
2) If you see error messages while trying to uninstall Start Search, then try to close your web browser and try again. Use your mobile device for accessing this guide, or save it as a text file. Then, you can use it without starting your web browser. Disconnect your computer form the Internet for blocking redirects that can somehow interfere with your attempt to make changes in your web browsers.
3) Start Search infects links to your web browsers placed on a desktop and in Windows menus. It helps to make the redirect to Startsearch.org stubborn. It looks like it won’t go despite of your effort. Below are instructions for fixing links infected with the redirect.
4) Use SpyHunter for easy and safe uninstall. This software helps to remove malicious programs found on your computer and provides real-time protection against malware and viruses that alter settings of your web browsers. It protects your network against intrusion and malicious attempts to control your computer from remote location.
Step 2. Uninstall Startsearch.org from Your Web Browsers
You need to remove Start Search extension, add-on, or BHO (browser helper object) from your web browser if you want to remove Start Search. Below is a list of instructions that will help to finish uninstall quickly. Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox are mostly used web browsers, and so, they are frequently infected. Browser reset will remove all extensions and fix malicious settings that are responsible for redirecting your search engine and homepage to unwanted web address.
Reset Google Chrome
- Start Google Chrome
- Click on the browser "Menu button" (three bars in the right top corner)
- Select "Settings" menu option
- Find a link "Show advanced settings" and click it
- Scroll all the way down and click "Reset browser settings" button
- Click on "Reset" to confirm the operation
Important: If you want to save other Chrome extensions and your personal settings, then you need to remove unwanted extensions and fix your web browser instead of running reset command.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Start Internet Explorer
- Click on "Settings" ("wrench" icon) in the right top corner
- Click on "Internet Options"
- Click on tab "Advanced"
- Find "Reset" button and click it
- Enable the option "Delete personal Settings"
- Click on "Reset" button
- Restart your browser
Important: If you want to save other extensions installed in your Internet Explorer, then you need to only remove unwanted browser helper objects and fix your web browser settings instead of making reset.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Start Mozilla Firefox
- Click on "Menu" (tree bars in in the right top corner)
- Select "Help" and click "Troubleshooting information"
- Click on "Reset Firefox"
- Click on "Reset Firefox" to confirm the operation
- Click on "Finish" to restart Firefox
Important: If you want to save other Firefox add-ons and your personal information stored in the web browser, then you need to only remove unwanted add-ons and fix your browser settings instead of using browser reset.
Fix Shortcut Links Infected with Startsearch.org Redirect
Startsearch.org can infect links to web browsers placed on your desktop, in Quick Start Menu (bar at the bottom of a desktop), and standard Windows menu. This trick makes Startsearch.org difficult to remove. It just won’t go away before you fix these infected links. For this you need to remove trailing attachments placed after links to your browser’s executable file. Otherwise, web browser is started with an attribute that redirects it to Startsearch.org.
- Find short-cut links with browser icons.placed on your desctop, in Main menu, and in Quick Access menu located on the bottom bar
- Right-click on the link to open pop-up menu.
- Go to the very bottom and click on “Properties” menu option.
- In the dialogue box click “Target” field and remove any characters placed after [browser_name].exe in the URL.
- These malicious tails are the redirects to Startsearch.org started along with your web browser.
- Click “OK” button and move on to other desktop links related to your web browsers.
Repeat this procedure for links to all of your web browsers placed in Windows menu and in Quick Access Menu located on the left side at the desktop bottom.
Startsearch.org Removal Tool
Removal tool is a part of SpyHunter that detects and removes malware and other unwelcome programs that computer users want to remove. It offers free professional support and helps to protect your Windows system against future infections.
SpyHunter offers quality detection and clean malware removal. It can find and fix problems missed by competing products. Moreover, this product is not limited to software performance. It includes free professional malware removal support that fixes problems related to mutating viruses and stubborn computer infections. Successful result is guaranteed.
Summary of Start Search Removal Process
Browser hijackers compromise your security and privacy. Such programs are wide-spread today, and they are often deceptively installed. Hijacker can hide under name that doesn’t look suspicious when it is installed on your computer. However, some hijackers do not have components, and the redirect is set by the download clients during program installation. You can remove Startsearch.org both automatically and manually, but automated way is preferable because it helps to remove other malicious programs.
Look at the list of steps for Startsearch.org manual removal and perform all the procedures listed below as they apply to your particular computer system.
Uninstall Startsearch.org from your computer:
- Uninstall Start Search from Windows 8
- Uninstall Start Search from Windows 7 and Vista
- Uninstall Start Search from Windows XP
Remove Startsearch.org from infected web browsers:
- Remove Start Search from Google Chrome
- Remove Start Search from Internet Explorer
- Remove Start Search from Mozilla Firefox
Problems related to Startsearch.org removal:
Note: You can use SpyHunter instead of performing all the steps listed above. Advanced malware scanner is a great help for your manual removal effort, and it is free. If you suspect that there are more malicious programs running on your PC and in your web browsers, then you need somehow to detect them before you can eliminate danger to your security and privacy. Download a free malware scanner that will provide you with actual and detailed information about malicious and unsafe programs found on your computer. This information helps to manually remove infected files and registry keys. You can use this software for automated removal process that will uninstall Startsearch.org and other like malicious programs. SpyHunter offers free professional support and helps to protect your system against future infections and deceptive adware threats similar to Start Search.
… we appreciate your generous shares that help other people to fight malware infections.